Friday, October 8, 2010

StudentORLearner

from a David Warlick blog post


StudentsLearners
Relationship with educatorsStudents are employees, required to obediently follow instructions.Learners are citizens with a vested interest in the learning society.
Relationship with other “Students”Students are competitorsLearners are collaborators
MotivationObligation: Students are culturally obliged to work for the teacher & for compensation(below)Responsibility: Learners are motivated by an understood and realized “value” in their work, especially when it is valuable to others.
CompensationInstitution defined grades and gateways to college (another institution) and a good job (another institution)A sense of ongoing accomplishment that is not delivered but earned, and not symbolic but tangible and valuable — an investment.
Mode of OperationCompliant, group-disciplined, objective-oriented, and trainablePersevering, self-disciplined, group- and goal-oriented, resourceful, and learning in order to achieve rather thanachieving learning.
Why?CompelledCurious
Equipped..with packaged knowledge and tools for recording packaged knowledge — prescribed and paced learning..with tools for exploring a networked variety of content, experimenting with that content, and discovering, concluding, and constructing knowledge — invented learning
AssessmentMeasuring what the student has learned.Measuring what the learner can do with what has been learned.

One of the problems that I struggled with, as I was writing and ordering these qualities was that I wanted to put assessment, for the student, at the top of the list — and assessment, for the learner, at the bottom. For the student, assessment is king, in very much the same way that quality control is such a critical part of the manufacturing processes. But assessment, for learners, is much less obvious, and at the same time, it is much more integral to the learning. Assessment for classrooms of learners is the enormous amounts of qualitative data that is collected by the teacher (and other students) on a minute-by-minute bases.
Assessment is also, and this is what I find most interesting, not a “right” or a “wrong” — a check (√) or an X. It is a simple self-asked question, “Did that work?”
Which are you in Physics? other classes? Are we evolving? Which is better? Which is Mr.Shircliff?  Which does he want you to be?

6 comments:

Sportsgal1992 said...

In physics I would consider myself a learner. In other classes i would consider myself a student. I think we are evolving to be learners and just not students. I think a learner is better because you aren't just getting information handed to you, you are actually working to get information. Mr. Shircliff is a learner. You want us to be learners and just not students.

Frobert said...

There are some class in the school that I am a learner. In physics, math, and my computer classes I feel that I am a learner because I actually want to learn the subject. I am not there because I have to, I am there because I want to. The other classes that I have, such as english and history, are classes that I am a student in. I don't really want to be there, but I have to be.

Frobert said...

In physics, math, and my computer classes, I am a learner. In the rest of my classes, I am a student. I believe that students are learning to evolve to be learners instead of students. Learners are better because they actually want to learn what they are being taught. Mr. Shircliff is a learner. He wants us to be learners instead of students because he wants us to be more motivated.

Get Money$ said...

I am a student. I believe teachers exist to help me accumulate information and use it in a logical and functional way. I view other students in the class as either threats to be eliminated, or tools to be used to boost my own achievements, sometimes both. I am here and I put effort into what I do because I have no other option, I am legally required to be here and without an education one cannot find a decent occupation. While others believe that education is it's own reward, I think this is nothing but a load of nonsense used to justify stealing a students time that should be spent with his family learning skills that are actually applicable in life, however, I do acknowledge that it is useful in applying to college. I try because society fosters competition, there are those who win, and become leaders, and there are those who fail and become non-persons, mere cogs in the machine of progress. I try because I have a sense of self-preservation, and I intend to be the former, not the latter. I am equipped with a highly analytical and logical mind, and the tools that I need to gather and use practical and, in most cases, impractical knowledge. I believe we are assessed by how much better we can perform than other students, and this is what shall guarantee us our desired positions in society. All in all, school is a measurement of ability, and in the end, one is rewarded with the power to rise above others, and secure himself an self-sufficient and independent lifestyle.

Sarah said...

i believe that physics and math i am a learner. all of my other classes i am a student. i believe that its better to be a student because you already have a general idea about the material hence not having to learn it. i think that mr shircliff is a learner because he is always collaborating with others and is always trying to learn new things. he also has a lot perserverance because he always trys to make learning new and exciting. i believe that he wants us all to be learners. i feel this is true because there is always something new and exciting to learn and he wants us to enjoy life and learning as much as possible.

Sarah said...

i believe that in math and physics i am a learner. in all of my other classes i believe that i am a student. i believe that everyone is evolving everyday. there is constantly new ways to learn things and ideas. i think it is better to be a learner. i believe mr shircliff is a learner because he collaborates with others and is always willing to try and make learning fun by finding new ways to learn. i think that mr shircliff wants us all to be learners because he wants the best for us and our education.